Tuesday, April 2, 2013

An Internet Living

"Youtube Videos Pull In Real Money," a business article in The New York Times by Brian Stelter was a favorite read for me.

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoy hearing about the speed, success and revenue that consistently pops from online videos and advertising, or from being online in general. It's exciting to me to read article's like Mr. Stelter's because it shows that I am in the middle of an epic time period; one that will most likely change the world.

However, every article I've read like Stelter's that harnesses the miracle of making a living via Youtube has had an aura to it, making it seem like those who have succeeded with Internet publicity live an easy, perfect life. Stelter mentions how the protagonist in his article quit his job in the music industry –– a great job –– to pursue his video stream.

It's interesting, because I feel that a life like Mr. Jacobson's who founded the popular blog Legal Insurrection is very timely and pressuring, because the web is always running and millions of people are always checking to see your updates. I would think maintaining an Internet reputation requires a lot more time and effort than a regular job, even if it is in the media. At least if you take one or two days off, you have the opportunity to not have to do anything (if there's no work to be done).

I give a lot of credit to those who work on the Internet, and manage their own sites. Because they run their own show, but probably have a fuzzy definition on what it's like to take a day off.


No comments:

Post a Comment